Making Your Home Marketable
People buy houses on emotion; make sure your house "feels right" to potential buyers when your house is being shown.
The Importance of Proper Home Staging
Staging is the first step to a successful home sell. There are a number of simple things you can do to make your home stand out, and feel just right for potential buyers. On this page, you'll discover an array of tips, tricks, and tools to transform your home into every buyer's "dream property." Ready to get started?
Before A Showing
A little bit of prep work goes a long way! Here are a few things to get your home ready for a showing. I highly recommend having a "game plan" and getting these simple tasks down to a science. That way, if a potential buyer shows up for a tour last, you'll always be ready!
- Turn on all of the lights
- Clean bathroom mirrors and faucets so they sparkle
- Put fresh flowers out in the kitchen
- Put a pot of cinnamon water on the stove
- Put fresh towels out in the bathrooms
- Set the temperature at a comfortable level
- Turn off the TV, stereo, and radio
- Get everyone (including pets) out of the house
- Be scarce and let the agent do the talking.
To Do Outside
It's all about that curb appeal. They say you can't judge a book by its cover, but potential buyers will absolutely judge your home by its outward appearance. That's why it's so important to make sure your home's exterior shines. Here are a few tips for creating the perfect home exterior before a showing.
- Keep the lawn mowed and raked
- Trim the shrubs
- Clear away dead branches
- Sweep the driveway
- Store lawn equipment out of sight
- Put up shiny brass house numbers
- Clean the gutters
- Wash windows
- Clean the garage
To Do Inside
Clean, clean, clean! If you have to hire a professional to make your home really shine, go for it. In order to sell fast (and for top dollar) every surface of your home should sparkle and glitter like a diamond. In addition, it's important to create an overall atmosphere that's inviting, tidy, and as universal as a blank canvas. After all, you want potential buyers to be able to see themselves living there.
So, here are some things you can do to make your home's interior feel brand new.
- Do a thorough cleaning
- Replace light bulbs with higher intensity ones (make sure you don't exceed the fixture rating)
- Touch up paint, repaint rooms if necessary
- Eliminate clutter (will make house seem larger)
- Remove any excess furniture (will make rooms look larger)
- Clean out your closets, store items elsewhere (makes closets look larger if there is some free space in them)
- Have carpets professionally cleaned if necessary
- Launder drapes if necessary
- Clear off kitchen counters and cupboards (will make the kitchen look more spacious)
- Polish the bathroom tub, toilet, and sink
- Clean the bathroom tiles and re-grout and re-caulk if necessary
- Tack down any loose molding, glue down peeling wallpaper, replace unattractive switch plates.
- Keep your home as close to show condition as possible at all times.
Selling Your Syracuse Home?
Selling a home in Syracuse? We can help! Learn more about listing your home with the Pei Lin Team at Keller Williams, including the tools and resources we offer our sellers, our marketing strategies, and our featured listings.